Thursday, February 09, 2017

Back across the Dee.

We set off back towards Trevor this morning, in a cold, brisk easterly wind.

Our view for the last couple of days. A pity the weather hasn’t been pleasant enough to enjoy it…IMG_3442

It wasn’t far till we came to the sharp right turn under Wenffrwd Bridge which marks the start of the easterly section of one-way channel.

On the way in to Llangollen it was along here that I was coaxing the engine to keep going, when it was suffering fuel starvation caused by a dodgy pump.

Bridge 39W used to carry the Vale of Llangollen Railway, opened in 1862, and later to become a branch of the Great Western Railway.
The line ran from Ruabon to Barmouth on the coast, carrying coal from the Ruabon collieries, general goods and passengers. There was a connection to a canal basin just past the aqueduct, and another to the Monsanto chemical works at Cefn Mawr.  At Cefn Mawr the main line from Chester to Shrewsbury was joined, just north of Newbridge Viaduct, and a link up to Rhos and Wrexham led north from Acrefair Junction. The line was closed in the 1960s, but the 10 miles from Llangollen to Corwen is still operated as a heritage railway.

It was an uneventful trip back to Trevor, a couple of boats had passed us before we left, also heading downstream, but they’d tied up at Bridge 41W, near the Sun Trevor Inn.

This group of youngsters looked perished.
They’ve a chance to warm up on the way back to their transport. They’re heading against the flow…

A tantalising glimpse of THAT aqueduct through the trees.IMG_3456

We turned right at the Trevor Branch Junction, lining up with the entrance to Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, then letting the wind push us across to the offside. Meg hopped off for a wee, I walked to the fence protecting the steep drop-off into the valley.

The crew working on the towpath hand-rail were still busy, their boat blocking the channel.IMG_3459
The repairs to the two-hundred year old railings are scheduled to take three weeks, during which time the towpath is closed off. The navigable channel is open between 15:00 and 09:00, and all day Sunday.
We’d arrived at around ten-to three, so had a few minutes to wait before they cleared up after the day’s work and moved the work boat.

Ongoing repairs to one of the spindles.
There are several individuals like this, and an extended section near the middle.

We crossed over and I decided to pull in on the offside, just before the water point. That wind was pretty cold…

We’ll toddle on a bit tomorrow, but will be back here on Sunday with guests…

Locks 0, miles 3½

No comments: