Thursday, July 21, 2022

Through Shardlow and the Trent and the Soar

 I was on the move at 07:00 on Tuesday, knowing it was going to be another hot one. And it was.

I hadn't noticed before, but the fields approaching Willington show traces of medieval ridge-and-furrow farming.

It's probably the parched grass showing the ridges more clearly than normal.

The moorings through Willington were surprisingly quiet.

Fire damaged, I hope nobody got hurt...

Not far from Willington is Stenson Lock, the first of the broad locks heading downhill, and the deepest at 12'6". With no-one else about I took it slowly, leaving after taking a half hour to fill it end empty it again.

It's about an hour to the next, Swarkestone, and I passed my first boat of the day, after 2½ hours, on the way.

Swarkestone Junction is just above the lock, where the Derby Canal branched off up to - yes, Derby of course! It joined the Erewash Canal at Sandiacre, and if restored, would make a pleasant, short circular route.

Swarkestone Junction and Lock.

The Trent valley is wide and flat along here, with fine grazing and arable land on the flood plain.

I called it a day after 4 hours, pulling in a mile above Weston Lock in the shade of trees. Even in the boat under the trees it was very hot, Amber had a poor night, not able to get cool. I took her out three or four times through the night, it was marginally fresher outside.

With the hot weather finally breaking I had a bit of a lie in yesterday, before getting going a bit after nine.

It was 20 minutes to Weston Lock, and on the way I had to keep clear of a couple of wide beams heading the other way. At one time you'd never see them further up than Shardlow, but since Mercia starting berthing them you see them as far up as Willington.

WB New Dawn heading my way...

Approaching Weston Lock

I'd just got the lock set up when another boat arrived, so I was able to share the three locks down to Shardlow with Graham and Sue on Endeavour.

There were more boats about than the previous two days, folk making the sensible decision to stay put while it was so hot. So we met boats at all the locks which made passage a little easier.

That's a big field!

In Aston Lock

We parted company at Shardlow Lock, I closed up while Graham and Sue toddled on to moor, looking forward to a pub lunch. I pushed on, mooring up above Derwent Mouth Lock for the rest of the day.

Shardlow Lock and the Clock Warehouse.

In the evening our long-time friend Carol walked around from Shardlow Marina to spend an hour with us, catching up. She bought a sail-away wide-beam 5 years ago and has almost finished fitting it out. To a very high standard, too. A very handsome boat.

So, back to today. We woke to a grey, cool morning, with a hint of dampness in the air which turned to full-blown drizzle but the time I moved out at nine.

Leaving Derwent Mouth Lock and the Trent and Mersey Canal behind for the time being.

Out on the wide waters of the Trent just downstream from the confluence of the Derwent...

...then back into the confines of Sawley Cut.

Not really that confined though.

CRT lockie on Sawley Locks

I turned onto the backwater to use the services, then headed back out towards Soar Junction.

Ratcliffe Power Station framed under the railway bridge.

Soar/Trent Junction

The Erewash Canal heads off under the bridge to the left, Cranfleet Cut takes the Trent Navigation north just left of centre, and the Soar joins from the right, in front of the power station chimney.

Through Redhill Flood Lock (open) and past Redhill Marina the river curves past lines of moorings and arrives at Ratcliffe Lock.

A couple of boats were dropping down so I had a pause before I could go up, helped by another chap waiting to go down.

Then it was out onto the wide reach to Kegworth.

Kegworth Flood Lock


I dislike Kegworth New Lock, it's deep and slow to fill, but I was lucky to be helped up by the crews of boats waiting above.

I called it a day on the lock cut only two or three hundred yards above the lock.

It's supposed to be showery tomorrow so we'll probably stay put. I've got an engine service to do anyway.

Locks 9, miles 19½ 

No comments: