It’s been quiet here today after 2 days of frantic activity by the boatyard staff, turning around the hire boats for this week’s clients.
Just one boat overnighting, obviously a fairly late arrival, Dutch, I think. They left at around 9 this morning.
Tony, NB Timewarp, introduced me to Scotchcloths, an abrasive sheet very similar to a nylon pan scourer. With these you can abrade the surface of fresh paint to provide a key, and also to remove any foreign bodies (flies!) from the finish. Used dry, they certainly save time over wet and dry.
I used one this morning, wiped down and set to on the second coats of paint on the cabin. All on by 2:30 and we had a late lunch/early dinner while it tacked off, then I removed the masking tape painstakingly applied yesterday morning.
A taster of what the finished article will look like.
Mags has come out to inspect the job, I think she’s pleased.
We’re a way from finished, though. In the morning I’ll be flatting the all of the paint again, to give as smooth a surface for the third and final coats as possible.
Then I’ve to repeat the masking off, before applying the paint.
Before I knocked off for the evening I got a coat of grey on the fore-end and cratch board.
The raised cants and hatch cover, still in undercoat, will be blue. The top bend or flare will also have a blue background, with an ivory panel on which will be a design of a circle and diamonds, as I did before.
Adam, I decided on a local chap, well, from Stoke, anyway. Robin Wagg comes recommended, is available and has some good ideas.