Notice AlertLeeds & Liverpool Canal
Starts At: Lock 29, Bingley 5 Rise Top Lock
Ends At: Lock 1, River Lock
Friday 17 August 2018 08:00 until further notice
Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Water resources
Original message:Due to the continued drawdown of the river levels, the prolonged low rainfall and with the forecast for further dry weather, the Trust will be implementing temporary closures to navigation between Bingley 5 Rise Top Lock(Lock 29) to River Lock (Lock 1) at the beginning of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, commencing on Friday 17th August.
The main lock flights will be padlocked closed at Bingley Three and Five Rise (Locks 22-29), Field (Locks 16-18), Newlay (Locks 11-13), Forge (Locks 8-10) and the gates will be ashed up to reduce leakage. Additionally to prevent unauthorised use, measures will be taken to make all the locks inoperable within this section.
It’s not clear how long the closure will last for but it’s likely to be throughout August and potentially beyond if there is no significant, sustained rainfall. While the closure will prevent use of that stretch of canal by boats the towpath will remain open for visitors and the local community alike to enjoy.
Although it’s only four or five long days down to Leeds from here, we’ve a family gathering up here tomorrow, a funeral to attend over Blackpool way on Monday, and Meg has to make a return visit to the vet here on Tuesday morning. There’s no way we could do the trip in 2½ days. So it looks like we’ll be hanging around up here in God’s country a little longer…
Incidently, in case your wondering what “the gates will be ashed up” means, traditionally, to stem leaks between the gates, boatmen used to pour the ash from their fires into the joint at the upstream side. The ash would be drawn into the joint, form a paste and a temporary seal. I assume the method used now is a little more high-tech, but you never know…
So, last Tuesday we headed further east from Bradley, through a couple of swing bridges to turn around at Farnhill Bridge and head back. We really did time it well. With so many day boats and longer term hire boats out from Skipton and Silsden, we only had to open three out of the four ourselves.
A fine sunset on Monday night…
…and a misty Tuesday morning.
The sun made short work of clearing the mist, by mid-morning we were into another bright, sunny day.
Returning the favour at Hamblethorpe Swing Bridge, after being invited through that at Bradley.
Up on the fell near here, in 1943, a Wellington bomber on a training flight crashed here following a catastrophic airframe failure. The seven crew members, all Polish were killed. The aircraft was on a routine flight and was returning to it’s base in Cumbria when the accident occurred.
A memorial to the young men, mainly funded by local businesses, was unveiled in 2007 by the widow of one of the crew. They’d been married only three weeks when the tragedy happened…
Heading back towards Bradley, alongside the busy Keighley Road.
A view from the east side of Bradley this time…
We thought we’d missed the opportunity here, we recently passed two pairs of boats that must have only just come through the swing bridge. But no, there was another couple of day boats just getting the bridge open again, so we snuck through.
We pulled in on the same spot we’d left a little earlier, once again with the stern well out to avoid the shallow bottom.
Even on this 20-mile pound the water is 2 or three inches lower than normal.
Meg had an appointment at the vet this morning so we set off yesterday, hoping to moor opposite the bus station again. But although we had a lucky break once again at Snaygill Bridge, it had run out when we arrived in Skipton. Our preferred moorings were all full, so we filled up with water, dropped the rubbish, turned around at the Springs Branch junction and pulled in nearer Tin Bridge. It’s OK here, but with buildings pretty well both sides there’s no chance of sun. Not that we’re going to see much anyway for the next few days.
We’re still struggling to sort Meg out. She’s listless and has no appetite, and this morning’s visit showed that even after 10 days of antibiotics she’s still got a temperature and has blood in her wee. After the consultation I left her there for an ultrasound scan, which has showed up some abnormality in her bladder, so further tests are scheduled for Tuesday.
I think she was pleased when I went to pick her up, but she was more interested in getting out of the door. After suffering the indignity of having her belly and flanks shaved she just wanted to be out of there!
I suppose the stoppage is a mixed blessing. At least we’ve got to stay up here now, so we can pop back to the vet regularly. We’ll get her sorted.
Locks 0, miles 5½