Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Fine Weather Cruising.

 We've had some splendid Easter weather these last 2 days. Cold nights, mind, but warm sunny days.

After waiting out the long weekend at Paddy's Wood we set off yesterday morning. There were quite a few boats about over the weekend, but not as many as you'd expect.

We wanted to make a good start, so were on the move just before nine.









Approaching Wheelock a new mum was trying to herd all the little ones away from the big noisy thing...

We topped up the water tank and disposed of the rubbish and recycling we'd accumulated since leaving Nantwich, then moved up to the bottom lock of the Cheshire Locks. So we heading up by 10 o'clock.

Lock 66, our first for the day.


The intention was to ascend maybe just 6 locks, stopping near Malkins Bank. But even though I had to empty each lock as I came to it I still made good time, and started meeting downhill boats at Lock 60 so I pressed on. 

The Cheshire Flight is a bit like Marmite; either you love it or hate it.

I quite like it, but however you feel there's no disputing that it passes through some very pleasant countryside...



In the end I finished up doing 10 locks, pulling in above the 2 Hassall Green Locks at just after midday.

Tuesday's sunset.


We had a good night's sleep, lulled by the gentle whisper of traffic on the M6 a quarter mile away, and I was up and out with Amber soon after seven.

It was pretty much rinse and repeat today; not meeting boats coming down until I'd got a couple of locks under my belt. But then they just kept coming...

Pierpoint Locks

 





A distant Mow Cop Castle on the horizon.


We weren't going far though, and got pulled in at a very quiet Rode Heath around eleven o'clock. 


Of course it should have been quiet, we'd seen a convoy heading north after all! 

With the fine weather continuing I'd been working on painting the steel well deck, and I got it finished this afternoon.

Pushing on tomorrow but we'll be later away. Mags has a follow-up telephone appointment with the chap who performed her ERCP last month. We'll leave after lunch I expect.  

Locks 14, miles 5½

No comments: