Thursday, May 07, 2020

A day early…

Usually we come into the Ellesmere Arm for shopping on Friday, but we’ve moved today this week. The washing machine has taken a beating, with the fine weather giving us a chance to get washing dry, so if it didn’t move it got laundered! Consequently the water tank was low and rather than run out we moved around to the wharf to top up before heading down to moor on the arm.

It’s been a steady week, modifications on my bird table/feeder thingy have been partially successful in keeping the persistent pigeons at bay…

…giving the smaller chaps a chance to eat.

Three of eight that drifted past the other day…

Nearly full moon on Monday.


I also got a couple of mucky jobs done. The drip mats under the engine needed changing, unfortunately, as is common with age, old Desmond the diesel has become a little leaky. Not a lot, less than a half-litre between oil changes, but worth soaking up to keep the sump clean.

I normally use those oil pads you can pick up from chandlers, but I had some large incontinence sheets left over from when Meg had a problem last year, and they fit perfectly. Cheaper, too.

The other job was easier, giving the chimney a good sweep. So with my arms grimy with oil and drive-belt dust I got them sooty too. I was hoping we wouldn’t be lighting the stove again, but it’s going to get cold this weekend it seems.

I also moved the bike, John Sage, from it’s winter storage on the rack behind the tiller, gave it a good oiling up and it’s now on the roof. It still looks decidedly shabby, but at least that makes it less of a prize for a passing light-fingered oik.

The counter looks a lot tidier now. I polished the tiller and pins, and scrubbed the dangly things.

The deck needs a scrub but that’ll keep till tomorrow.

I see Boris is going to give us an idea how we get back to normal on Sunday. Hopefully we’ll be able to toddle on a bit next week, but I’m not holding my breath. Having said that, there are one or two boats passing through, so not everyone is staying put.

Locks 0, miles ¼

TTFN

No comments: