Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A better day.


 Last evening’s sunset promised a better day, and it didn’t let us down.
Spectacular Sunset
We weren’t going so far today, so didn’t get off until gone 11:00. In fact I overslept; I’m normally up at 06:30 for my run, today it was 07:10 before I opened my eyes. I blame Meg, she had me up at 1 o’clock this morning, wanting a pee.
Out in the Lancashire countryside.
We were down to less than a quarter of a tank of diesel, planned I might add, and also needed a replacement gas bottle. We filled up and got the gas at the handy Moons Bridge Marina.
Leaving Moons Bridge.
Apart from the extra manoeuvrability provided by the bigger prop, another benefit is improved fuel consumption. Not a huge amount, but at the price of diesel now any saving is worthwhile.
Just chillin’, making milk.
We’ve been coming across a group of three boats on a regular basis. They’re travelling together, all from Braunston. NBs Huffler, Charlotte and Jola No6 are due back across the Ribble the day before us, so they’re killing time.
The “Braunston Boats”, moored near Woodplumpton.
There’s one of the few cuttings on this canal just south of Six Mile Bridge.
Six Mile Bridge
The cutting is only shallow and stretches for about half a mile.
In the cutting.
The Hand and Dagger is canalside at Salwick Bridge   
Emerging into open countryside again, we pulled in on some handy piling just past Salwick Hall.
Salwick Hall just visible through the trees beyond the mooring.
Not sure what we’re going to do over the next couple of days. I’ve some bits and pieces still to do following the bedroom refit; if the weather stays kind there’s some varnishing to do and touching up on the gunwales. Or should we finish off the canal with a trip into Preston and back?
Locks 0, miles 7

I’m running The Great North Run to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support.

No comments: