Saturday, July 27, 2019

Drippery wetfullness

Well what a change! Two days ago we had all the doors and windows open, trying desperately to stay cool, today Mags asked me if we could have the heating on for an hour as it felt so much cooler. Of course I said no – not!

We woke up to rain and it’s been continuous all day, only just letting up now. More due for tomorrow though. We decided to move anyway, yesterday afternoon we were fed up with folk walking past and peering in the windows, so decided to head for the sticks.
I made a quick trip up to the shop to get bread, milk and a paper, then we unpinned and set off at around half-ten.

Past the moorings heading for Haywood Lock

I had to fill the chamber as a boat had dropped down in front of us, but didn’t close the bottom gates as a boat had just turned up at the bottom as the lock emptied.

Massive rhubarb at Little Haywood.

A dozen football-sized strawberries and I could make enough crumble to last a month!
( I’m only joking, it’s actually Brazillian Gunnera Manicata, a non-edible decorative import. The football-sized strawberries sound like a good idea though…)

We trudged along to Colwich Lock, no-one waiting at this lock either but I had to fill it of course.

Mags had followed my suggestion of staying inside through the trip, having a wet dog and one set of wet clothing would be bad enough.

Half an hour later we pulled in on the piling just past Taft Bridge.
We’ll stay here for the rest of the weekend now.

Locks 2, miles 3

No comments: