Tuesday, August 05, 2008

A damp trip to Higher Poynton.

It’s been a grey, damp day today, with the heaviest spells of rain this morning. So we waited till the sky showed a hint of brightness before getting away from bridge 24.
Quite a few other boats were on the move, though. Hardier souls than us…

It was 13:30 before we finally pulled the pins and set off through the first of the 2 lift bridges today. This one’s not too bad, I counted 68 turns of the windlass to get it fully raised. The next one, Turflea Bridge, must have leaky hydraulics. 110 turns up, 48 down. It makes your arms ache a bit.

Between the bridges I spotted this sight in the field alongside. The sheep wasn’t going to let that dog anywhere near it’s youngsters…

The farmer was working in the same field and was taking no notice, so I guess he wasn’t worried about the outcome.

I’m afraid the views across the Goyt Valley were probably even more limited than last Thursday’s….
Coming into Marple Carol had to stop for Reg the cat to have a “comfort break”, and was passed by a hire boat which rapidly gained on us. I decided to let him pass, pulling over to the left and just touching bottom. I waved him through and the idiot passed us at close to full throttle, pushing us hard up on the rocky bottom and causing everything to fall off the table as we tilted over to the right. Some people have no consideration at all.

By the time I’d backed off and continued to the junction, he was just entering the top lock.

Marple Junction

At the junction there are 48 hour moorings which are always popular and only accommodate 3 boats. Passing Furness Vale on Friday I spotted a half submerged cruiser on a mooring at the marina. It had gone when we came back past. Guess where it’s finished up!

Through the junction Goyt Mill was standing impassive to the rain on the edge of the town.

Goyt Mill
We pushed on through the light but continuous drizzle, intending to stop at Higher Poynton. But of course there was no room opposite the wide, so we went another ¼ mile or so and stopped just before Hagg Footbridge, no. 16. It’s a bit shallow here, but what’s new?

I see from the Middleton Guardian that the Environment Agency have identified the chemical which killed all the fish on the Rochdale near Failsworth. The original BBC news report is here.
I hope they string the culprit up. The area hasn’t got much going for it, but at least the fishing was good, or so I’m told.

Locks 0, miles 6

No comments: