Friday, December 09, 2016

A little cooler as we head to Great Haywood.

And damper too. We had a shower, the first while we’ve been on the move for ages!

We swung across the canal to the water point at a quarter to nine, just in time as Tescoman was early. We’d everything loaded by nine. But it was still nearer ten by the time it was all stowed and the water tank was filled.

Heading into Rugeley, past the Ash Tree Boat Club moorings.IMG_2898

There’s lots of residential development going on at this end of the town…IMG_2899

That looks a bit dodgy…

Not much holding it back either!

There’s not been many boats about these last few days, and the long length of empty moorings in Rugeley reflects this.IMG_2904

We didn’t need to stop, having topped up the cupboards already, so toddled on. It seems to take a long time to clear the built up area, but it’s finally left behind as we cross the Trent again on the aqueduct near Brindley Bank.

Trent Aqueduct


After losing the Trent at Alrewas, we’re now back in the valley.

Looking out across the Trent Valley, Cannock Chase rising in the distance.IMG_2910

Taft Wharf (aka the pig farm)

If we’d have had enough fuel we’d have filled up here instead of at Shobnall. It’s cheap but cash only. Boat Safety Certificate inspections are very good value for money too.

Our one and only lock was at Colwich, a boat was just coming down as we arrived so it was set for us.IMG_2913

Then we carried on past little Haywood, mooring below Haywood Lock looking out over towards Shugborough Hall.

It’s very quiet along here too, only two other boats. It’s been a little cooler today, the wind has swung to bit to the west, bringing slightly colder air in. It’s still very mild for December, though. All change after the weekend, it seems. Back to proper December weather.

We’ll be here for the weekend, now.

Locks 1, miles 6

1 comment:

Chas and Ann said...

We just loved being in Great Haywood. Only once did we get there in the summer in time for the music event. Two winters we left the boat in the marina and went home for Christmas.