Monday, September 16, 2013

A wet and windy 13.1 miles….

Up to the north-east in the early hours of Sunday morning, for my 11th go at the Great North Run.

We usually have pretty fair weather for the event, but the gods of running must have been looking the other way this year. The sunrise as we drove up the A1 was spectacular, but was soon followed by the first of the squally showers forecast for the day.

We were dry at the start in Newcastle, but the wind was biting in just running gear. Then, about half-an-hour after the gun, we were swamped with a very heavy shower accompanied by very strong winds. And this was the order of the day.

Thankfully the Red Arrows were able to do their displays in the clearer intervals, the GNR wouldn’t be the same without their amazing acrobatics.

I was pleased with my result, the best I’ve done for 2 or 3 years. I was feeling strong and fit, having had a good training regime over the last 10 weeks. And I beat Robbie Savage in a sprint finish to the line! Dead chuffed! And I got to high-five Christine Ohuruogu at the start!

Sorry, no pics of the race, it was just too wet, but there’re are plenty on the net if you’re interested.

Mags had an appointment to see the Practice Nurse at the surgery in Ingleton today, the first of two visits which are her annual MOT. So, rather than drive the 180 miles back here yesterday , then the 160 miles to Yorkshire and back today, we went to Ingleton last night and stayed with Mag’s son George.

I woke after a good night’s sleep at around 07:30, a little stiff in the back and thighs, but generally feeling OK, so Meg and I had a very pleasant walk around The Common, an area north of the village once extensively quarried but now rough pasture.

Looking down the Doe valleyDSC_0131

Ingleborough summit is hidden from this angle

But Whernside is visible in the distanceDSC_0134

These are the two highest of the Three Peaks, the other is Pen-y-ghent. I spent 26 years living in the area so know these fells well.

The rivers are running fast after the last 24 hours of rain.DSC_0139

We drove back today, and I think it’ll be an early night tonight. 430 miles behind the wheel and 13.1 miles in running shoes in the last 2 days has left me feeling a little limp…


Sue said...

Congratulations Geoff, I didn't know you were doing it this year, I must have missed you saying so, but well done you in that awful weather xx

Carol Palin said...

Well done Geoff! Hope Margaret’s MOT went ok too. xx