Sunday, June 02, 2013

Good walks and galley modifications

On Friday morning we were roused by a phone call from the delivery driver with our new washing machine…. at 06:45! By 7 o’clock it was on board, the old one was in the truck as well as the delivery packaging and the kettle was on for a cup of coffee. Not bad, eh. ordered Wednesday evening, free delivery Friday morning, to a towpath location.
So if you need anything “white goods”-wise, Appliances Online wouldn’t be a bad spot to visit.
There was a small problem, though. Not with the delivery, but the Zanussi machine was a couple of inches deeper than the Candy it replaced. This meant that the water and waste hoses would have impossibly tight bends, obstructing the flow. A bit of head scratching came up with inspiration; why not swap the adjacent drawer unit into the washing machine gap. With the back out of the drawer unit it’s actually easier now to access the power socket, valve for the fresh water and to check the waste connection.
Resited washer. It was where the drawers are now…
I so glad I installed B&Q kitchen units rather than making bespoke ones…

A couple of loads on different settings have checked the thing out. It’s actually quite a bit quieter than the old one. Just as well, it’s 500 mm nearer Mag’s chair!

We’re still here near Dunham Massey, taking advantage of the fine weather to enjoy some pleasant walks around the area. Yesterday morning Ann and I took the pooches for a stroll around the deer park at Dunham Massey Hall. You’ll remember that Chas came with me while Ann was away, now it was Ann’s turn.

Water powered saw-mill, used for planking up timber off the estate.SAM_5639

Still got the water-wheel

Deer in conversation

And deep in contemplationSAM_5644

Ann gets up close and personalSAM_5642

Someone’s been busy with a chain saw….

Wind Fairy

Old Stu…
Clever, eh.

Splendid Yellow Jelly Fungus (I think) on an old beech.SAM_5652

Lots of woodpecker evidence on the trunk, too.

….and cootlings
Baby coots really are ugly little blighters, aren’t they.

Today I‘ve made a start on the long process of preparing the boat for a repaint. I cleared the roof, then spent two hours on my hands and knees with a scrubbing brush and detergent removing last winter’s accumulation of grime.

Then it was out with an old chisel, scraping away any rust blebs found during a close inspection. The paint is generally very good, but nearly seven years of wear and tear have taken their toll, and chips have developed into small rusty blisters. It’s not the first time I’ve done this, and previous repairs are still fine, so my method of scraping back to bare metal, a coat of Trustan 23 rust converter, two of primer then a top coat to seal seems to work well. I‘ll be doing the same again, only this time the whole roof will get two fresh top coats once the patch repairs are complete.
I’ve just found out that Trustan is no longer available, good job I brought that bottle with me. A hang over from my car restoration days…

I think we’re having another day here, so I should get the primer on. The engine is due an oil change too, so that’s a job to do in between coats.

Hi Jacquie, how are you? thanks for the comment. I’m not holding my breath, but maybe, just maybe…. if taken the chimney down and put the cap on. Fingers crossed…

Hi Anonymous. Washer was nearly seven years old so I think a claim might be rejected. Thanks for the thought, though.

Oh, and hello to the chap on NB Bluegrass who passed today and who reads this. Good to know there’s someone out there… thanks. Now you know what I was doing crawling around on the roof!

Locks 0, miles ¼

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Geoff
I used Trustan until it disappeared from the market about 6years ago. Now use Fertan, same stuff (Phosphoric acid) and does the same job. A wonderful creation, no rush to paint once that acid has been applied.
Got 500ml off coal boat Alton the last time we were on the Weaver.
Happy travels,
Mo and V