I’ve been on the phone today, setting us up for staying till after next weekend. I reckon it’s going to be that long before the canal is sensibly navigable.
First off was a call to BW to tell them where we are and that we’ll be staying put for a while. We’re on 48 hour moorings, you see, and have already been here 72! We don’t like overstaying, but in this case it’s unavoidable, and BW accept that.
Two unsuccessful calls followed, both in an attempt to get some solid fuel. The first supplier I spoke to was apologetic, but with demand as it is couldn’t fit me in till next week. We’ll be icicles by then! The second just rang, so I left a message.
Then I toddled off into the village, to arrange for the mail to be delivered to the Post Office here. Although they’re obliged to offer this service, as a matter of courtesy I always ask first.
My phone rang while I was waiting in the queue, so I busied it then rang back when I got outside. It was Allens Fuels from Cannock replying to the message I left earlier. He’ll be able to deliver to the wharf on Wednesday, so that’s a weight off my mind. Ten bags of Taybrite, not my preferred product, but beggars can’t be choosers.
I’ll have to be careful getting them to the boat, each bag has to be carried across the upper lock gate before I can barrow it to the boat. I wouldn’t want to fall in at the moment.
We had a visitor this afternoon as I was oiling my wheels ready for Wednesday. A bit nearer the lock is another boat, NB Festina Lente. Rita was on her way to the shops and stopped for a chat on her way past. I’m sure we’ll see more of her and husband “Scooby” during the next few days….
Here’s an example of the unofficial support structure that operates within the boating community. Ray and Jayne on NB Travelling in No Direction left a message after yesterday’s post regarding finding some coal. They offered to bring some across to us by car if we’re stuck. Bear in mind that we’ve never actually met…. But that will be rectified in the future.
Locks 0, miles 0