Friday, October 10, 2008

A Great Run, and the weather improves.

But not until Sunday…
The last couple of days of our stay on the east coast turned out pretty miserable, generally. We did get some odd breaks in the heavy showers, so here are some pictures of Whitby inner and outer harbours, and the Abbey on the headland above the town.

And a great shot of Meg above Robin Hood’s Bay
We left our accommodation on Saturday morning. I was hoping that we would be able to stay another night but they were booked up. So we resigned ourselves to kipping in the car that night, up near South Shields. All Saturday it was wet and windy, limiting what we could do. The weather (and the car seats) made sleeping almost impossible, but we managed catnaps till dawn.
The organisers of the Great North Run must be living right, or something. After several days of gales and lashing rain, Sunday dawned dry, cloudless and calm. Cold though!

After waiting around at the start for an hour or so, we were all glad when the gun went off and we could start the 13.1 mile course.

The start system stretches for nearly a mile to accommodate 52,000 entrants..

The women had a very dramatic finish, with our Jo Pavey just being unable to hold off Gita Wame and Magdalene Mikunzi. She came in 3rd, but still got a new personal best.

She wasn’t the only one. I was chuffed to finish in 1:40:27, just over a minute faster than my time at Liverpool earlier in the year, and 5½ minutes faster than last year’s GNR.
It was a brilliant day, great conditions for running, and the organisation, as usual, was first class.

Incidentally, my justgiving web page is still live, so you've still got the opportunity to donate some money...

We set off back down to Leicestershire at around 2, getting back shortly after 6. After getting all the luggage from the car, unpacking and sorting out, we were ready for bed. So Meg had a quick walk and we hit the sack.

We’ve enjoyed our week away, but it’s good to be home, even if home is only 57 feet x 6 foot 10!

Monday we spent catching up with some rest, then went over to see Dad and Ann in the afternoon. Sue (sister, now living in NZ) and family arrived (they’re staying up near Ollerton while they’re in the UK). We’d met husband Trevor before, but not his 3 boys. Tom, Brad and Adam are a credit to their parents.

Tuesday we were treated to lunch at the Quorndon Fox, very pleasant it was too.

Rainbow over the marina on Tuesday night
Wednesday was another chillin’ day, and yesterday we had the Kiwis on the boat for a cruise to The Waterside at Mountsorrel and back. Trev and Sue had been aboard before, but it was a whole new adventure for the lads. Living beside a lake they are familiar with boats, but narrowboats are different beasts altogether!

Trev and (L-R) Adam, Brad and Tom
They all had a go on the tiller, and got on really well.

Helmsman Adam looking cool (but stood on a stool!).

Lunch at The Waterside in Mountsorrel. Dad and Ann drove over to meet us there.
After a really enjoyable day we arrived back in the marina around 16:30.

The weather has been good for the last few days here, and it’s still sunny today, but with a stronger breeze. Still, we’re only going shopping later.

Since last post – locks 6, miles 5, road miles – nearly 1000!


thefilmkiwi said...

Hi there, just passing through..lovely pics, makes me miss the UK that bit much more. Have a good one!

Anonymous said...

Hello Geoff,

I'm sitting here with some friends looking at your blog. I'm pleased to see my mug appears so often! And that of Derek, Jake and Completely Foxed.

Hope the Great North Run was a success, and you had a good time.

Just seen Muriel's bottom on the photo of the rainbow at Pillings lock. Muriel is owned by the same peole who own this computer. So there!

Hope you are all well - keep in touch.

Gloria, Derek and Jake.