Friday, September 20, 2019

Now then, where were we?

Ah yes, we left Loughborough bound for Pillings Lock Marina a week ago, Friday 13th. Nothing bad happened on this potentially fateful day, and we pulled onto our allocated berth soon after lunchtime.

Beautiful sunshine as we left Loughborough

We were only there for the weekend, but with a hire car we crammed in several family visits including a big get-together where 17 of us took over a room at The Griffin Inn, Swithland.
An enjoyable few days, then we were away, heading downstream back towards Loughborough, on the Monday.

Back out of our berth at Pillings Lock

The moorhens, at least, enjoy the floating rafts of Pennywort. 

Not sure if they’re eating the weed or mooching in it for insects.

We didn’t go so far, stopping the night near Millers Bridge then moving on to moor around the corner from Chain Bridge in Loughborough on Tuesday.

Mist rising off the water at Millers Bridge first thing on Tuesday morning.

Although I’d topped up the cupboards while we had the car, I had another trip to make to Tesco’s as we’d planned a cruise down the Trent on Thursday with my sisters Sue and Kay and their respective partners.

So Wednesday we set off downstream again, out of Loughborough for the last time this trip.

We’d arranged to meet the guests at Trent Lock so went further than we’d normally do, mooring up a quarter mile above Ratcliffe Lock.

Bishops Meadow Lock, on the northern edge of the town

Back on the river again.

A cheery wave from the very skinny chap and his dog at Normanton.

Zouch Lock filling.

We shared Zouch Lock but were on our own again at the deep Kegworth New Lock. At least I could leave the bottom gates open for a couple of cruisers going up though.

Barge Albert that we saw at Kegworth New Lock heading downstream a week ago.

Yesterday we set off under cloudless blue skies, down Ratcliffe Lock, past Redhill Marina and out onto Trent waters at the junction.

Redhill Marina

Swan grooming parlour…

I was pleased to see a gap on the mooring pontoon near the Trent Lock Inn, so we pulled on there and I did some last preparation for a buffet lunch to pick at we cruised up to Beeston and back.

It wasn’t until a quarter past twelve that we’d got the temporary crew on board and sorted out, and we were able to set off again.

Cranfleet Lock, with Trevor (left) Paul doing the work.

A fine steam launch heading upstream.

Meg dozing…

…and Trevor and Sue on the tiller.

It was a fine day for a river cruise, everyone enjoyed themselves and The Trent was at it’s picturesque best.

We caught up with a boat at Cranfleet Lock so were able to share that, and once again dropped lucky with a space on the pontoon at Trent Lock.

Trev, Sue and Kay, with me lurking in the background.

It was around half-four we were on our own again, so decided to stay put for the rest of the day.

Beautiful sunset

We had a lie-in this morning, it was a long day yesterday, at least by our standards! We didn’t have far to go anyway, just up onto Sawley Cut, stopping for water and rubbish disposal on the backwater on the way.

Another fine morning as we reverse out from the mooring pontoon.

Heading up the backwater at Sawley to the services.

Water topped up and rubbish dealt with we turned around and pulled out onto the main channel, then turned again and into Sawley Lock 2, invitingly open for us with a lockie in attendance.

Out of the lock we cruised another 10 minutes past the permanent CRT moorings on the towpath side and the Derby Motor Boat Club opposite, mooring opposite the entrance to Sawley Marina at just after mid-day.

Leaving Sawley Locks behind.

That’s it for the pottering about, now we’ll be heading decisively (but steadily) up and over the Trent and Mersey to Middlewich, then across to Hurleston Junction to get up onto the Llangollen Canal before the major stoppage at Hurleston Locks starting 4th November.

Over the last week - Locks 8, miles 27.

No comments: