Monday, January 04, 2010

Frozen in…

Cold, init!
Shiver

Well, I hope you all had a good New Year’s celebration. Are you sticking to those resolutions, or have they fallen by the wayside already?
A couple of years ago I resolved not to make any more New Year Resolutions, and I’m doing really well so far…..

We came out of Uplands Marina last Wednesday as planned. We had a warm-ish spell midweek, which made it a lot easier getting out than going in! Of course, the warmer, damper weather made the footpaths boggy, most of the countryside unerringly sticking to Meg the Muck Magnet.

It didn’t last, though. By the weekend we were back to the deep freeze. We’d moored opposite Anderton Marina on Wednesday, just 100 yards away from where we’d been all week. Thursday we were going to push off southwards, but the weather was poor so we decided to stay put. Same on Friday, then the canal froze over again overnight.
We followed a couple of boats out of Anderton on Saturday afternoon, mooring up on our usual spot at the edge of Marbury Wood, with the intention of carrying on today. But the sub-zero night-times, and barely warmer days have left a good inch of ice on the water, more than I’d like to push through except in an emergency.

We filled with diesel and coal as we left the marina, and did the water and loos at Anderton on the way past, so, with care, we’ll last into next weekend. Water will be the first shortage.

Frosty at Marbury.
I quite like this weather, though. The frosty nights lead to bright sunny days, and the paths are now solid again, so Meg keeps clean, no matter how hard she tries.

Locks 0, miles 2

2 comments:

Caddie said...

I can't say I envy you now as I did in the warm times. The picture of Meg in the snow tells me she loves the cold. Four days of no heat and nearly freezing to death awhile back only bolsters my fear and loathing for the cold.

Geoff and Mags said...

Hi Sis
I quite like these clear, frosty days, but it is nice to have a warm boat to come back to!
You're right about Meg; she loves rolling in the snow. That's just what she's built for. Her coat has thickened up quite a bit over he last month.