Sunday, July 05, 2020

Slowly, slowly…

The Great Escape turned out to be anything but! We spent the last week or so pottering about around the mosses, an excursion down to Tilstock Park to turn around and head back to Bettisfield saw the water tank filled, we had a Tesco delivery late on on Monday and Val and John came across to see us on Thursday.

Broken cloud…

…and threatening skies.

Roundthorn Farm moorings, handy for deliveries and visits…

Boat dog

“Are we there yet?”

Meanwhile Amber and I had some good long walks on the paths criss-crossing the mosses, sometimes wet, mostly dry but always enjoyable.

After a long walk a kip is needed – but a dog has to stay alert after all!

Did you know that dogs smell differently when they’re damp? I don’t mean from when they’re dry, but from each other… Meg smelled of cinnamon, Amber smells of fudge!

We headed downstream on Saturday, trusting the weather to stay fine so we could get to Whitchurch. And it did, mostly.

Tilstock Park Lift Bridge is probably the only CRT asset not painted black and white!

We arrived at Whitchurch just before lunch and tied up in the Arm.

After lunch I had a trip up into town, to Boots the chemist. Amber’s bed is in front of Mag’s chair, and on Friday evening, while she had a good stretch, her back legs raked across Mags’ right shin. Unfortunately the meds she’s on cause thin skin and thin blood so even though the wounds were shallow they bled. A lot. We’ve some wound dressings in the first aid box, along with sterilising swabs so I cleaned them and bound them up, but needed to get some more dressings so I can change them every day. I might have a chat with the local doctor tomorrow about antibiotics too.

Amber was really upset that she’d hurt her Mum…

Then today it was my turn. On her long lead in Danson Wood she spotted a rabbit and went off like a train. I went arse over apex as the lead ripped out of my hand, wrenching and bruising my shoulder as Amber disappeared in hot pursuit of Ragtag and Bobtail.

I spent a worrying 10 minutes wandering the woods calling for her, she’s normally good so I was imagining all sorts. Had she hurt herself, maybe broken a leg in a rabbit hole or impaled herself on a low branch? Then the pounding of paws behind me heralded a barrage of licks, muddy paws, waggy tail and a huge doggy grin as she found me. She was no longer trailing 12 foot of lead though. She must have got it caught up and had to chew through it to get back to me. 

The poor dog must have been frantic, hearing me calling but being stuck. Luckily she’s none the worse for her adventure, but she hasn’t moved far away from me all morning…

Never a dull moment with Amber around!

Locks 0, miles 15¾ since last post. 

3 comments:

Alf said...

I was told once that Tilstock bridge was owned by the County Council which is why it was painted differently, I remember it was once out of action for some time (in the up position) because the Highways could not afford the cost, some research required methinks.

Carol said...

Blimey Geoff, what a troublesome few days and we hope that Margaret's legs heal up nice and quickly. Amber as you say must have been frantic hearing you and not being able to get free, hopefully now she'll think twice before chasing the runny babits! xx

Geoff and Mags said...

Hi Alf. Yes, you're right. The lift bridge is the responsibility of the local authority. The situation probably dates from when the canal was cut. The route from Ellesmere stopped here in 1805 and was not not connected to the Hurleston section till a little later. A bridge wouldn't be necessary until the connection was made, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was conveniently forgotten... They were short of money!
Hi Carol. All's well now, Mags leg is healing nicely and Amber's recall has improved considerably!